Friday, June 27, 2008

Fun Health and Beauty Concoctions

I wanted to share something else I've made recently. I've been "no poo" (which means no shampoo) for over a year and a half now (maybe I'll talk about that another time), and have quit using the body washes that I loved for so many years (eliminating things with ALS and SLS in them). I was reading on my fave forum about bathing babies "naturally" and there were some really neat ideas and "recipes". I decided I wanted to try them on me!

I also got my annual beginning-of-summer miserable cold about then, and made my own chest rub, GOOT: Garlic Oil Ointment.

So here are my ingredients:
Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Organic Virgin Coconut Oil, Dead Sea Salts, Eucalyptus Essential Oil, Lavender Essential Oil, and garlic. (not pictured: baking soda)

I won't post the recipe for GOOT here, since I have the link above. EDIT:  equal parts coconut oil, olive oil, and minced garlic.  I put it in a plastic cup and have it in the refrigerator door. I get a nice whiff of garlic every time I open the fridge! I rubbed it all over my chest a couple times a day, especially at bedtime, and also on the soles of my feet with socks over it so my sheets wouldn't get smelly. I also had the beginnings of a bad canker sore in the back of my mouth and put it on that; by the next morning it didn't hurt anymore! My glands were swollen and sore just under my jaw, so I made sure to apply it there as well, and they healed up quickly, too. It's two weeks later and I still have some drainage down my throat and will get coughing fits when I lay down, but I'm sure it's partly from stopping the GOOT as well as because I had pneumonia 13 years ago, and the chest crud takes the longest to go away.

The next thing I made was bath salts:
  • 1 cup Dead Sea Salt
  • 3 Tablespoons Baking Soda (a drawing agent)
  • 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil (you could also use almond oil)
  • 10 drops Eucalyptus Essential Oil
I decided to crush the salt a bit first. I mixed the dry ingredients together before adding the oils and blended thoroughly. I put it in an empty marshmallow creme jar. I know--NOT healthy! But I got a box of 12 for only $1, and you can't get 12 pint jars with nice lids for anywhere close to $1! (I also use the jars for drinking glasses or storing leftovers.)

I got to take a long, wonderful bath in a friend's big garden tub, and my skin felt so soft! (No soap!) I also had my pumice stone with me, and scrubbed all the dead skin off my body while I was at it. Usually a bath with oil in it will leave the tub kind of gross, and this was no exception, BUT I had my container of baking soda with me, so as the water drained, I simply used a bit if that on a washrag and gave the tub a bath, too.

My last concoction was lotion:
  • 1/2 cup Coconut Oil
  • 1/8 cup Olive Oil (you could also use almond oil)
  • 10 drops Lavender Essential Oil (anti-fungal and anti-bacterial)
I made this small amount so it would fit in the little squeeze bottle I bought for $0.50, and also so I didn't have too much of it if I didn't like it.

I melted the coconut oil before adding the other oils. At first I put it in the fridge, but then it was too hard to squeeze out when I wanted it. Now I keep it out, and it's liquid, but hasn't been a problem. (I might use less olive oil for another "summer" batch, so it would be a bit thicker.) It soaks quickly into the skin, and doesn't feel greasy at all. Makes a good massage oil, too, though I think I will try some other scents later for that purpose.

None of these were very expensive, though of course the initial outlay is more than you would spend on these items. But there's plenty left to make more! Here's a picture of the final products:
GOOT, Bath Salts, and Lotion

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That GOOT is a miracle cure at our house!! I'm glad you posted these recipes; I've wanted to try making these sorts of things but haven't ever taken the time. My bored kiddos are needing something to DO today so thanks for the idea! :)

mgirl said...

Just a note for myself:
Lavender EO .5oz $10.29
Eucalyptus EO .5oz $4.79